18 Watchout Situations
1. Fire not scouted and sized up.
2. In country not seen in daylight.
3. Safety zones and escape routes not identified.
Unfamiliar with weather
and local factors influencing fire behavior.
5. Uninformed on strategy, tactics, and hazards.
Instructions and assignments
No communication link
8. Constructing line without safe anchor point.
9. Building fire line downhill with fire below.
frontal assault on fire.
11. Unburned fuel between you and the fire.
12. Cannot see main fire, not in contact with anyone who can.
On a hillside where
rolling material can ignite fuel below.
14. Weather is getting hotter and drier.
15. Wind increases and/or changes direction.
Getting frequent spot
fires across line.
Terrain and fuels make
escape to safety zones difficult.
18. Taking a nap near the fire line.